Re: Column storage positions

From: "Phil Currier" <pcurrier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Guillaume Smet" <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Column storage positions
Date: 2007-04-02 00:44:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On 4/1/07, Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Phil, did you make any progress with your patch?  Your results seemed
> very encouraging and your implementation interesting.
> IIRC, the problem was that you weren't interested in working on the
> "visual/mysqlish" column ordering. As the plan was to decouple column
> ordering in three different orderings, I don't think it's really a
> problem if your implementation doesn't support one of them (at least
> if it doesn't prevent us from having the visual one someday).

I haven't done much with it since February, largely because my
available free time evaporated.  But I do intend to get back to it
when I have a chance.  But you're right, the storage position stuff
I've worked on is completely independent from display positions, and
certainly wouldn't prevent that being added separately.

> Is there any chance you keep us posted with your progress and post a
> preliminary patch exposing your design choices? This could allow other
> people to see if there are interesting results with their particular
> database and workload.

Yeah, I'll try to clean things up and post a patch eventually.  And if
anyone feels like working on the display position piece, let me know;
perhaps we could pool our efforts for 8.4.

phil