PGSQL non installer for linux

From: "Sivaramakrishnan Nageswaran" <sivaramakrishnan(dot)nageswaran(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PGSQL non installer for linux
Date: 2008-06-20 08:52:24
Lists: pgsql-ports

Hi,

Does pgsql have anything like non-installer for linux i.e tar-gzipped bundle
(as is available for linux in the form of zip file) which I can untar /unzip
in the target machine? Basically I do not want to use rpm to install as it
might fail due to dependency issues. So, if I have a custom built (for
various flavours and versions of linux) bundle, I can just unbundle the same
in a specified directory and start using it. Right now, if I use rpm for
installing pgsql, it installs the files in various directories (like in
/usr/bin, /var/lib/pgsql etc). Basically I wanted all the libraries,
binaries and the database to come under a common parent directory.

Hope I have made sense. Any help is highly appreciated.
Thanks for any help.
Regards
- Siva

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
- Mark Twain
(Home page: http://rushto_siva.tripod.com)