Re: postgresql equivalent to ms access parameter query

From: "David P(dot) Lurie" <dbase4(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql equivalent to ms access parameter query
Date: 2004-03-24 01:31:04
Lists: pgsql-odbc

"Jeff Eckermann" <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote in message
> You've unwittingly provided yourself with the answer
> below, i.e. construct a query string using the value
> of some control(s).
>
> You just need a piece of code that makes a connection
> to the server, constructs a query string, then sends
> the query to the server. ADO is good for this.
>
> So you don't really need a function, because either
> way you are doing the same thing, i.e. creating a
> query string using passed in values.

Thanks, that looks like the answer. Hope to have some time in the next day
or two to try it out.

The Access Linked Table Manager only displays DSN=xxx and DATABASE=yyy from
the connection string. It must get the other psqlodbc parameters from the
preconfigured DSN.

Passing the mouse pointer over the linked table icon in the database window
in Access displays what appears to be the entire psqlodbc connection string,
including ODBC as the first parameter, and TABLE=zzz as the last parameter.

I presume that a connection string would be something like:

connection_name.Open "Provider=ODBC; DSN=xxx ;DATABASE=yyy;"

An ADO recordset equivalent for the TABLE=zzz parameter could be:

recordset1.Open ''zzz", connection_name

David P. Lurie