psqlODBC generating incorrect SQL?

From: "Michael Shulman" <shulman(at)math(dot)uchicago(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: psqlODBC generating incorrect SQL?
Date: 2006-02-17 02:35:16
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi,

Can anyone think of a reason that the windows psqlODBC driver would
generate SQL that doesn't quote strings correctly? I am seeing lines
in psqlodbc_xxxx.log that begin like:

conn=160249744, query='UPDATE "public"."application" SET
"decision"=Accepted WHERE...

There is no column in my table called Accepted; that is a text string
that I tried to set the field "decision" equal to. But somehow it
didn't get quoted when it was put into the SQL, producing many error
messages like 'column "accepted" does not exist'.

I'm using MS Access, so possibly the problem is there; I don't know
enough about ODBC to say. However, psqlodbc_xxxx.log tells me that
the sql statement was constructed from one looking like

UPDATE "public"."application" SET "decision"=? WHERE ...

by filling in parameters, so it seems to me that it is the driver that
is at fault, since it must have filled in the parameters.

I'm very confused about how this could be happening. It doesn't
happen on my computer, only on one of my users' computers, running the
latest version of psqlODBC in Windows XP. Any suggestions would be
greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike