Re: Updatable views

From: "Jaime Casanova" <systemguards(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Bernd Helmle" <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Updatable views
Date: 2006-08-24 16:02:43
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
On 8/24/06, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de> writes:
> > While working on Alvaro's suggestions to fix the code i got the opinion
> > that we need to reject any attempts to name a user defined rule
> > as
> > "_INSERT"
> > "_DELETE"
> > "_UPDATE"
> If the code is dependent on recognizing names to know what it's doing,
> then I'd say you have a fundamentally broken approach.  Consider adding
> a flag column to pg_rewrite to distinguish these rules, instead.

Actually the code delete implicit rules based on a field added to
pg_rewrite but that catalog has a unique index on ev_class, rulename:
"pg_rewrite_rel_rulename_index" UNIQUE, btree (ev_class, rulename)

i guess bernd's comment is about this index giving an error if we try
to insert the new rule with the same name on the same event...

Jaime Casanova

to produce bigger and better idiots.
So far, the universe is winning."
                                       Richard Cook