Re: Updatable views

From: "Jaime Casanova" <systemguards(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Bernd Helmle" <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Updatable views
Date: 2006-08-24 16:02:43
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
On 8/24/06, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de> writes:
> > While working on Alvaro's suggestions to fix the code i got the opinion
> > that we need to reject any attempts to name a user defined rule
> > as
>
> > "_INSERT"
> > "_NOTHING_INSERT"
> > "_DELETE"
> > "_NOTHING_DELETE"
> > "_UPDATE"
> > "_NOTHING_UPDATE"
>
> If the code is dependent on recognizing names to know what it's doing,
> then I'd say you have a fundamentally broken approach.  Consider adding
> a flag column to pg_rewrite to distinguish these rules, instead.

Actually the code delete implicit rules based on a field added to
pg_rewrite but that catalog has a unique index on ev_class, rulename:
"pg_rewrite_rel_rulename_index" UNIQUE, btree (ev_class, rulename)

i guess bernd's comment is about this index giving an error if we try
to insert the new rule with the same name on the same event...

--
regards,
Jaime Casanova

to produce bigger and better idiots.