Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.0-beta4 pginstaller failure on Windows 2003

From: tillman(at)babcockbrown(dot)com (Tillman)
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.0-beta4 pginstaller failure on Windows 2003
Date: 2004-11-15 22:44:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs

This one gave me grief also.
The fix turns out to be pretty simple.

libeay32.dll is located in System32 and can be installed by any number of
applications, maybe the most notable being Crystal Reports.

More than likely the version on your machine is not recent enough to have
the required entry point. Mine had version 0.9.6.101.

postgreSQL needs to overwrite the installed version and their installer does the
reponsible thing; it checks to make sure its version of the dll is greater than
the version already installed. This way if a newer version is already installed
postgreSQL wont' overwrite it. The problem is the version information in
postgreSQL's installer's version of libeay32.dll is missing therefore the test
to see if it is a newer version than the currently installed version will always
fail - if there is an existing version installed that is.

That last sentence encapsulates the workaround:
1. Delete libeay32.dll from System32 (actually move it somewhere just in case)
2. Run the postreSQL beta 4 installer which should now properly install the
correct of version of libeay32.dll into System32.

Hope this helps. It worked on two different machines for me.

-tillman-

Tillman Dickson, Jr.
Babcock & Brown