"Consider compacting this relation..." ???

From: "Kynn Jones" <kynnjo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: "Consider compacting this relation..." ???
Date: 2008-02-28 21:14:46
Lists: pgsql-general
I just ran VACUUM ANALYZE and got this warning I've never seen before:

WARNING:  relation "public.some_big_table" contains more than
"max_fsm_pages" pages with useful free space
HINT:  Consider compacting this relation or increasing the configuration
parameter "max_fsm_pages".

What does the hint mean by "compacting"?  What exactly must I do to compact
this table?

Also, at the end of the VACUUM ANALYZE run I get the NOTICE:

NOTICE:  number of page slots needed (294528) exceeds max_fsm_pages (153600)
HINT:  Consider increasing the configuration parameter "max_fsm_pages" to a
value over 294528.

What surprises me here is that even though I've never seen this notice
before (and I've been running VACUUM ANALYZE a lot lately!), the number of
page slots needed is almost twice as much as the value of max_fsm_pages.
 What could I have done since the last time I ran VACUUM ANALYZE (not more
than 24 hours ago) to make this "page slot" requirement to shoot through the
roof like this?

Thanks in advance!

kynn

pgsql-general by date

Next:From: Erik JonesDate: 2008-02-28 21:18:06