Re: How to temporarily disable a table's FK constraints?

From: "Kynn Jones" <kynnjo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Erik Jones" <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to temporarily disable a table's FK constraints?
Date: 2007-11-05 17:52:54
Lists: pgsql-general

On 11/5/07, Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com> wrote:

> On Nov 5, 2007, at 10:50 AM, Kynn Jones wrote:
> > Is there a standard way to disable a table foreign-key constraint
> > temporarily?
> >
> > I thought that this would be a fairly common thing to want to do...

> Can you explain what it is you're actually trying to do? As in,
> what's your use case for needing to do this?

A Perl script that needs to update a referring table with many new
entries before knowing the foreign keys for each new record. (I
described a similar situation in a recent post, Subject: Populating
large DB from Perl script.)

Also, Ron, the *owner* of a table is not a "regular user" as far as
that table is concern. That user has special privileges, including
that of dropping constraints. What I seek to do is no greater a
violation of the idea of enforcing relational integrity than is the
ability to drop constraints altogether.

BTW, I realize that I can just drop and reinstate constraints, but
from the point of view of writing a Perl script to do all this, it
would be much easier if I could just disable temporarily all the FK
constraints on a table.

kj