Table Partitioning

From: Michael Gould <mgould(at)intermodalsoftwaresolutions(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Table Partitioning
Date: 2009-07-07 18:00:55
Lists: pgsql-novice

I am considering table partitioning. We are migrating our application from
Sybase to PostGres 8.4. In our product we have several tables which are
global amoung all locations, then we have several tables which are unique to
specific location. While we don't have millions of rows of data in any of
these tables, the specific locations do not want anyone except the corporate
office and their location to have access to their data. I was thinking of
using table partitioning by locationID. If I understand the concept
correctly if our corporate employees run a query from the master table and
do not limit it by the location id, then they will retrieve the results from
all child tables.

Best Regards

--
Michael Gould, Managing Partner