Re: Simple Query HELP!!!

From: 71062(dot)1056(at)compuserve(dot)com (--CELKO--)
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Simple Query HELP!!!
Date: 2001-09-24 03:49:13
Lists: pgsql-sql

Please write DDL and not narrative. here is my guess at what you are
trying to do. What you posted was not a table because you had no key.
TEXT is not the datatype to use for names -- unless they are thousand
of characters long!!
Recording age as an integer is useless -- give us the birthday and we
can always compute their age. Is this what you meant to post?

CREATE TABLE People
(name CHAR(30) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY, -- not big enough for TEXT
age INTEGER NOT NULL, -- should be birthdate instead
company CHAR(30) NOT NULL);

>> ... create a query than get me a list with the seniors per company,
for example :<<

SELECT P1.name, P1.age, P1.company
FROM People AS P1
WHERE NOT EXISTS
(SELECT *
FROM People AS P2
WHERE P1.company = P2.company
AND P1.age < P2.age);

This says there is nobody older than the P1 person in the same
company.