Searching a gin index

From: James Dooley <jamdooley(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Searching a gin index
Date: 2009-02-06 13:59:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi again,

I have set my configuration as default and I have created a GIN index on
three columns, like this

create index textsearch_index on products using gin(strip( to_tsvector(
'my_config', title || '' || description || '' || name)))

Searching these columns the way I have

... AND (title || '' || description || '' || name) @@ plainto_tsquery('car')

seems not to be correct since it's taking as much time as non-indexed. Also
changing the word car to cars returns nothing even though

select * from plainto_tsquery('cars')

returns 'car'

Could you please point me in the right direction ?

James