Re: Postgres XA support

From: "Ludovic Orban" <lorban(at)bitronix(dot)be>
To: "Kris Jurka" <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres XA support
Date: 2006-10-31 10:24:36
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
Kris,

2006/10/30, Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>:

> I see how Allan's patch would get UPDATE 1 to commit, but UPDATE 2 and 3
> are the equivalent of an interleaved transaction and I don't see how that
> could possibly work.  I'm not sure what sort of protection we need to add
> to prevent people from doing this or other transaction handling actions on
> the connection.  Right now the Connection object doesn't know if it is
> being used by a XADatasource.

The problem is not if a connection was created by an XADatasource or
not but if it is being used in a global transaction context or not.

Weblogic's connection pool has a parameter called
local-transaction-supported which when set to false will disallow
local transactions to be executed on connections taken from that pool.

I guess you could enforce the same behavior in the driver by throwing
a SQLException when some query is executed and XAResource.start() has
not been called yet or XAResource.end() has already been called.

Ludovic