Re: Postgres XA support

From: "Ludovic Orban" <lorban(at)bitronix(dot)be>
To: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Kris Jurka" <jurka(at)ejurka(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres XA support
Date: 2006-10-09 11:08:56
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
Heikki,

> It's very important that we have a wide range of XA test cases in test
> suite, because we can't test with every possible transaction manager
> implementation whenever we change something.
>
> It would be nice to collect sample configurations of application servers
> / transaction managers as people get the driver to work with them.
>
> I personally used JOnAS for testing. We should start to collect a list
> of known working configurations.
>
> * JOnAS
> * WebLogic (with patch; I hope we can get it applied soon)
> * Orion
> * Simple JTA
> * Geronimo (with patch, see the recent thread about auto commit problems)

I agree but what do you call 'working configuration' ?

Due to the current limitations you could get simple cases working
while at the same time excluding some very important ones because
they're unsupported.

I'm not 100% sure about this but the fact that you cannot mix local
and global transactions will prevent Hibernate applications to work
when built with JTA. There are many cases where these features that
look not that important at first are quite critical.

Ludovic