Re: O_DIRECT in freebsd

From: Sailesh Krishnamurthy <sailesh(at)cs(dot)berkeley(dot)edu>
To: Jordan Henderson <jordan_henders(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Doug McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>,Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>,PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: O_DIRECT in freebsd
Date: 2003-10-31 00:59:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

    Jordan> significantly better results.  I would not say it requires
    Jordan> considerable tuning, but an understanding of data, storage
    Jordan> and access patterns.  Additionally, these features did not
    Jordan> cause our group considerable administrative overhead.

I won't dispute the specifics. I have only worked on the DB2 engine -
never written an app for it nor administered it. You're right - the
bottomline is that you can get a significant performance advantage
provided you care enough to understand what's going on.

Anyway, I merely responded to provide a data point. Will PostgreSQL
users/administrators care for additional knobs or is there a
preference for "keep it simple, stupid" ?

--
Pip-pip
Sailesh