Re: Firedaemon and PosgreSQL Restarting - Cab Frank Seesink can you

From: Frank Seesink <frank(at)mail(dot)wvnet(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Firedaemon and PosgreSQL Restarting - Cab Frank Seesink can you
Date: 2004-01-30 05:15:24
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

My Deja!

Wow. I've never been asked for help so directly. :-) Sure, I can try
to help.

Quick question first if I may, though. Please describe your
configuration in as much detail as possible. For example, currently I
am running

* Windows XP Professional SP1a

and the output of the command

$ cygcheck -c cygipc cygrunsrv cygwin postgresql

yields

Cygwin Package Information
Package Version Status
cygipc 2.02-1 OK
cygrunsrv 0.97-1 OK
cygwin 1.5.6-1 OK
postgresql 7.4.1-3 OK

And as I am using PostgreSQL v7.4.1 and started from scratch using
Jason's README, my data (and PID file) is now in /var/postgresql/data.

Please note that if you are not running the latest versions of
cygipc/postgresql, I highly recommend upgrading if at all possible, as
CygIPC is now a proper package of Cygwin (ipc-daemon2 basically), no
longer requiring a separate install. CygIPC2 also properly cleans up
after itself on system shutdowns, removing its files. Of course, if you
currently are running anything earlier than PostgreSQL v7.4, you will
need to follow the usual procedure of pg_dump'ing your data and then
restoring it once you have upgraded PostgreSQL. And be sure to RE-read
Jason's README as the default location of PostgreSQL data has changed
(though it's not written in stone or anything).

Once you respond, I can try to give you specific instructions on how to
set things up so that, even in the case of power/system failure, where
PostgreSQL does not shutdown properly, you can be sure that on reboot,
your dbms comes up. It's really not that difficult. The hardest part
is getting the service dependencies right. Then it's just a matter of a
batch file and some basic FireDaemon settings.