Re: PB: Initdb failure

From: Frank Seesink <frank(at)mail(dot)wvnet(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PB: Initdb failure
Date: 2004-01-29 03:52:34
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
Hey jean-phillipe!

Actually, it looks like the issue might be much simpler than you
realize.  First, is the output you're getting a cut/paste?  If so, don't
put an ending forward slash in the command to create the database.
Follow the instructions to the letter:

	$ initdb -D /var/postgresql/data

NO ENDING SLASH.

Second, you obviously are NOT following the instructions as written in
the URL you provided, as the path you show is to the older
/usr/share/postgresql/data, NOT the new /var/postgresql/data (which is
clearly stated in step #2).

If this was not the issue, try shutting down CygIPC, deleting all of its
related files in /tmp, then fire it back up and try again.

 From the path you've used and issues you're seeing, I was curious.
Have you installed/used PostgreSQL under Cygwin in the past?  If so, be
sure to re-read the installation steps, as with CygIPC becoming a proper
Cygwin package, and PostgreSQL moving up to v7.4, there have been some
basic changes in the way the install/setup are done.  Minor, but can
throw you if you're used to the older way.

Hope this helps.