Re: "/usr/bin" supposed to exist?

From: Frank Seesink <frank(at)mail(dot)wvnet(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "/usr/bin" supposed to exist?
Date: 2003-10-07 02:55:48
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

stephan(dot)michael(dot)rupp(at)t-online(dot)de wrote:

> Hello, Frank,

>>Not sure, but this user may be experiencing the wonderful phantom
>>/usr/bin issue, where /usr/bin is there if you type a command like
>>
>> cd /usr/bin
>>
>>but if you type
>>
>> cd /usr
>> ls
>>
>>you don't see it.
>

> That's it exactly, Frank!
>
> Does this has any impacts on the functionality of CygWin/PostgreSQL (besides the fact
> that I don't s e e it...)?

Stephan,

As mentioned by Jason in another post, if you have /bin in your PATH,
odds are no, it will not affect things. However, you may wish to do as
I mentioned in my post just to 'restore' things to the way they should
be. In the end, /usr/bin is just a link to /bin anyway (take a look
from Windows Explorer and you'll see only C:\cygwin\bin exists, but
there's no C:\Cygwin\usr\bin), but it's nice to have things as most
Cygwin users/developers expect. ;-)

Not sure what causes this. My suspicion lies with something in the
Cygwin setup.exe's way of handling package updates (possibly the
post-install scripts?), as I've run into various minor (and some
not-so-minor) issues when doing updates.