Re: Leftover PID files

From: Frank Seesink <frank(at)mail(dot)wvnet(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Leftover PID files
Date: 2003-09-24 01:37:33
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
Jason Tishler wrote:
> Frank,
>
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 03:18:59PM -0400, Frank Seesink wrote:
>
>>And /var/log/postmaster.log shows
>>
>>	LOG:  fast shutdown request
>>	LOG:  shutting down
>>	LOG:  database system is shut down
>>
>>Not sure if a fast shutdown implies anything, ...
>

> Yes, because there is no "smart shutdown" in the log, we are good to go.
>

>>Speaking of which, one thing I DID find was that, upon restart, I
>>found that the CygIPC (ipc-daemon2) files in /tmp were left behind.
>>ipc-daemon2 is supposed to clean up after itself when it shuts down
>>(and it does when I manually shut it down).  Possibly the issue of not
>>shutting down properly on a Windows shutdown/restart has migrated? :-)
>

> If the above is truly the case (I have not tested this), then I would
> post this issue to the Cygwin mailing list.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

Jason,

	I've now tested on two PCs running Windows XP Pro SP1 (one desktip PIII
866, one IBM ThinkPad T21).  Tried this with Cygwin 1.5.4-1, and just
yesterday with 1.5.5-1.  From cygcheck,

Package              Version        Status
cygipc               2.01-2         OK
cygwin               1.5.5-1        OK
postgresql           7.3.4-2        OK

In both cases, PostgreSQL shuts down fine (same log entries as above)
and removes its PID file, but the CygIPC files are left behind after a
restart.

I'm afraid I'm not on the Cygwin mailing list at this point.  Any chance
you could cross-post for me?