Re: Queries sometimes take 1000 times the normal time

From: "Anders K(dot) Pedersen" <akp(at)cohaesio(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Queries sometimes take 1000 times the normal time
Date: 2003-08-28 17:59:09
Lists: pgsql-performance

Rod Taylor wrote:
>>Currently there's only a few users in the database for testing purposes,
>>and most of the time the user lookup's take 2-3 ms (I have syslog'ing of
>>queries and duration turned on), but several times per hour the duration
>>for one of the queries is 2-3 seconds (1000 times larger), while the
>>surrounding lookups take the usual 2-3 ms.
>
> Are there any other jobs running at the time of these excessive queries?

I don't know if you're referring to jobs inside the PostgreSQL database
or just jobs on the server, but I'm pretty sure that nothing major is
going on inside the database - the only other job using it is doing an
insert whenever one of our game admins executes an administrative
command (like ban or kick), but this doesn't happen all that often, and
according the PostgreSQL log isn't happening at the same times as the
long queries.

With regards to other jobs on the server, there is a MySQL server on it
as well, which from time to time has some multi-second queries generated
from a webserver also on this host, but the MySQL is running with nice
10 (PostgreSQL isn't nice'd).

Someone else asked about vmstat results, and I've been running this for
a while now, and I will report the results shortly.

Regards,
Anders K. Pedersen