Re: How to reindex when unable to open relation?

From: "Shoaib Mir" <shoaibmir(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Darren Reed" <darrenr+postgres(at)fastmail(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to reindex when unable to open relation?
Date: 2008-02-26 06:33:07
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 5:13 PM, Darren Reed <darrenr+postgres(at)fastmail(dot)net>
wrote:

> Inserts into my table started generating an error message (see below),
> and there was a log message that suggested I reindex.
>
> postgres seems to start and stop ok, but no operations on the tables
> seem to work.
>
> l# /usr/pkg/bin/pg_dump -s -U postgres
> pg_dump: failed sanity check, parent table OID 16401 of pg_rewrite entry
> OID 16403 not found
>
> Is this recoverable without using a backup?

Looks like to me corrupted system catalog!

I guess when you dropped the table it didn't delete the record from
pg_rewrite was not deleted when the parent table was dropped. So you can try
doing something:

delete from pg_rewrite where oid = 16403;

And see if this can fix the problem..

--
Shoaib Mir
Fujitsu Australia Software Technology