Re: High update activity, PostgreSQL vs BigDBMS

From: "Shoaib Mir" <shoaibmir(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Guy Rouillier" <guyr-ml1(at)burntmail(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL Performance" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: High update activity, PostgreSQL vs BigDBMS
Date: 2006-12-28 09:06:44
Lists: pgsql-performance

Here are my few recommendations that might help you:

- You will need to do table partitioning (
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/ddl-partitioning.html) as you
are storing quite a lot of data in one table per day.

- You are using a RAID5 setup which is something that can also affect
performance so switching to RAID1 might help you there, but again you have a
RAID5 with 12 disks so hmm that shouldn't be that much of a problem.

- Have you done the tuning for postgresql.conf parameters? if not then you
really need to do this for like checkpoint segments, random page cost,
shared buffers, cache size, fsm pages, vacuum cost delay, work_mem, bgwriter
etc etc. You can get good advice for tuning these parameters at -->
http://www.powerpostgresql.com/PerfList/

- For autovacuuming you need to properly tune the thresholds so that the
vacuum and analyze is done at the right time not affecting the database
server performance. (You can find help for this at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/routine-vacuuming.html under "
22.1.4. The auto-vacuum daemon")

- You will need to separate your transactional logs i.e. pg_xlog folder to a
different drive other then your database server drive. This can be done by
creating symlinks for pg_xlog folder.

- I hope you are doing proper connection pool management, because good use
of database connections can be really effect the overall performance,
connections can be expensive to create, and consume memory if they are not
properly exited.

Hope that helps your tests...

Shoaib Mir
EnterpriseDB (www.enterprisedb.com)