Intros, greetings, salutations, etc.

From: Ronald Chmara <ron(at)Opus1(dot)COM>
To: pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Intros, greetings, salutations, etc.
Date: 2006-06-23 08:25:36
Lists: pdxpug
Hi, I'n Ron Chmara, ronabop, boppers, bop, etc. etc. etc..

I've only been working with the Postgres code family since '99-00 or
so, but now that I'm (currently) doing a full-time gig based on MySQL
3.23 data stores (head->keyboard), I am suddenly remembering all the
reasons why "she" and I broke up after a brief flirtation...

I know she's gotten older since then, and added some layers of
maturity, but I miss that brush of true love that comes with
referential integrity, sub selects, intelligent time stamp operators,
and data types based on single-type-multi-lookup data (geographic data
types, hex data for IP lookups)...

Anyways, about me:
Sometimes I'm a consultant, sometimes I'm full time employee, but a
vast amount of my work seems to be all about performance tuning and
optimizing. I've had to port the following apps/data into PHP/PostgeSQL
web apps over the years: mSQL, MySQL, MSSQL, FoxPro, FilemakerPro,
4D(oy!), Excel, PDF (!) (ow, ow, ow), ASP, Lasso, etc.

Some of my gigs never touch PostgreSQL, as they are about things like
"global LDAP directory optimization", other gigs are with folks who
just want a "real database" or better performance from existing
hardware, which can often mean big (or little) switches to PostgreSQL,
or, in other cases, re-writing SQL statements to use better query sets
regardless of the db engine.

For 'net apps, I mostly work in PHP first, shell/ Perl second, and then
everything else (Writing internet apps in Haskell? LISP? SmallTalk?
er... no.)

Oh, and I have a very old memo posted on the postgresql site about some
basics of sane enterprise app programming with PgSQL:
<http://techdocs.postgresql.org/techdocs/enterprisebusapps.php>

And I once did a chunk of work on the PHP manuals based on my
experiences with PgSQL (along with other sections).... but it looks
like those are a tad out of date too. At least I got name credit.
*shrug*

Anyways... Hi folks!

-Bop
--