Re: 8.5 beta manual

From: Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: mladen(dot)gogala(at)vmsinfo(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 beta manual
Date: 2010-01-24 20:42:55
Lists: pgsql-novice

2010/1/24 Mladen Gogala <mladen(dot)gogala(at)vmsinfo(dot)com>

> Will there be an upgrade procedure, too? There is a growing problem with
> PgSQL not allowing upgrades and requesting that the databases should be
> rebuilt from scratch, using pg_dumpall. My company is planning to create a
> Postgres database 1TB in size, but the upgrades are a major obstacle in the
> planning.

No doubt pg-migrator will enable fast upgrades between versions, but you
aren't required to upgrade to the latest major version. For example, if
you're on 8.4.2, and loads of security patches and bug fixes are released as
8.4.3, there won't be any breaking changes, so you can upgrade to that minor
version and no dump and restore is required.

Regards

Thom