How to improve insert speed with index on text column

From: Saurabh <saurabh(dot)b85(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to improve insert speed with index on text column
Date: 2012-01-30 09:27:30
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi all,

I am using Postgresql database for our project and doing some
performance testing. We need to insert millions of record with indexed
columns. We have 5 columns in table. I created index on integer only
then performance is good but when I created index on text column as
well then the performance reduced to 1/8th times. My question is how I
can improve performance when inserting data using index on text
column?

Thanks,
Saurabh