Re: import a .out file

From: "Sibte Abbas" <sibtay(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Jonathon Stierman" <jonathon(at)vimm(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: import a .out file
Date: 2007-09-14 18:06:04
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 9/14/07, Jonathon Stierman <jonathon(at)vimm(dot)com> wrote:

> Forgive my complete lack of knowledge here, but I have a bit of a problem!
>
> I'm in the middle of moving a website from one server to another, and it
> happens to be that POSTGRESQL is not available on the new server (MYSQL and
> MSSQL are the only ones supported). I have been given a .out file which
> appears to contain PostGre-specific SQL code. I tried importing it directly
> to MYSQL without success -- I knew it wasn't going to be that easy, but I
> had to try :)
>
> I wasn't able to find anything specific about .out files using the search
> feature on postgresql.org -- is this a standard format for data dumps?
> What's the best way to import this data, and eventually get it into an MSSQL
> (preferred) or MYSQL (if it's easier)?

Not sure, but maybe you can use the "strings" utility to output all
the strings in the binary a.out file. This may produce a large output
so you would want to do this:

strings a.out > strings.log

And then later view the contents of strings.log to find the SQL
queries. Also do man strings for complete information regarding the
strings utility.

regards,
--
Sibte Abbas