the return value of select statement includes unwanted quote

From: "L Chou" <leahalbany(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: the return value of select statement includes unwanted quote
Date: 2007-04-09 17:55:22
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Hi, I am writing perl code and using DBI to connect to the postgreSQL
database.  I found that if the column type is varchar, then the return value
of this column will always be double quoted.   Is there a way that I could
remove the double quote from the return value?  since if I use a compound
statement and used the return value to query the database, then PostgreSQL
doen't recognize the double quote.  If I put extra single quote around the
return value, then the value has extra two double quote around it, and it
doesn't match any record in the database.

Please advise if there is any way to remove the double quote.

Thanks,

Leah

pgsql-interfaces by date

Next:From: Sean DavisDate: 2007-04-09 19:22:05
Subject: Re: How do I get started?