archive_timeout - Is it working??

From: Steve Kecskes <steve(at)outtalimits(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: archive_timeout - Is it working??
Date: 2008-06-06 02:06:34
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

I am currently setting up a warm standby configuration with Postgres 8.3.

Everything seems to be fine but the archive timeout doesnt seem to be

working as expected. The setup is currently in a test environment and I

have set the archive_timeout to be 60sec. The WAL logs however only seem to

be written out when the checkpoint_timeout expires. There is currently very

small amount of database activity in the test environment. But I would have

expected a WAL log be written every 60sec with maybe 1MB of data.

This is what I have set up for testing purposes:

# - Checkpoints -

checkpoint_segments = 3 # in logfile segments, min 1, 16MB

each

checkpoint_timeout = 5min # range 30s-1h

#checkpoint_completion_target = 0.5 # checkpoint target duration, 0.0 -

1.0

#checkpoint_warning = 30s # 0 is off

# - Archiving -

archive_mode = on

archive_command = 'cp -i "%p" /pgbackup/"%f" </dev/null'

archive_timeout = 60s

Is there something I am missing here?

Thanks!

Steve K