Re: Updated Cygwin Package: postgresql-7.3.2-2 --still trouble in

From: Frank Seesink <frank(at)mail(dot)wvnet(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: cygwin-announce(at)cygwin(dot)com
Subject: Re: Updated Cygwin Package: postgresql-7.3.2-2 --still trouble in
Date: 2003-05-20 01:03:59
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Jason,

Answered my own question. Having installed CygIPC 1.14-1 and
PostgreSQL 7.3.2-2 on two different PCs, I can say with some certainty
that the fixes in place have helped...to an extent. HOWEVER, there
still appears to be a bug in 'psql' related to Fast User Context
Switching. Let me explain.

On PC #1 (my test box), I simply used Cygwin's 'setup.exe' to update my
installation to the latest and greatest PostgreSQL 7.3.2-2, being sure
to shutdown 'postmaster' and 'ipc-daemon' prior to installing (the
latter for completeness rather than necessity). On PC #2 (my laptop), I
never had gotten around to installing PostgreSQL, so decided now was a
good time to test.

All now appears to be working better (note: WITH the snapshot
cygwin1.dll in place, mind you). User 'postgres' can run 'initdb' just
fine, even if you context switch over to that account instead of logging
completely out of your admin account and then log in as 'postgres'
(making sure to be in context 0, or the first user signed on). In other
words, logged in as a 2nd user, I was able to run

$ initdb /usr/share/postgresql/data

without issue.

HOWEVER, 'psql' still fails miserably when using internal sockets. If
you are signed in as the FIRST user in XP, you're fine. But do a
'Switch User' and log in under another account, and you will find trying
to run

$ psql -U postgres template1

fails. This, by the way, occurs whether you are logged in first as your
Admin account and switch over to the 'postgres' account, or vice versa.
So it does NOT appear to be a permissions issue.

Note that, for now, simply using the TCP/IP connection by adding the switch

$ psql -h localhost -U postgres template1

works just fine, whether as the first or second user (haven't tried
being logged in as more users than that :-) ). This, of course, assumes
postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf are properly edited.

Anyway, figured you might like to know.