Re: Updated Cygwin Package: postgresql-7.3.2-2

From: Frank Seesink <frank(at)mail(dot)wvnet(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: cygwin-announce(at)cygwin(dot)com
Subject: Re: Updated Cygwin Package: postgresql-7.3.2-2
Date: 2003-05-19 22:16:37
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Jason Tishler wrote:
> New News:
> === ====
> I have updated the version of PostgreSQL to 7.3.2-2. The tarballs should
> be available on a Cygwin mirror near you shortly.
>
> This version is built against cygipc 1.14-1 which contains a fix to
> properly handle Windows XP's Fast User Switching. If interested, see
> the following for the details:
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-05/msg00282.html

Jason,

How version-specific is PostgreSQL under Cygwin with relation to
CygIPC? I mean, from the above, it seems that a fix in the latter
requires a recompile of the former? Is that accurate? Or is that only
in specific cases like this one with the Fast User Context Switching
(FUCS)? [Acronym unintentional...but kind of amusing when I think about
it. :-) ]

I only ask because I saw the updated CygIPC 1.14-1 this morning and
figured I'd test against it (with the same same PostgreSQL 7.3.2-1
that's been installed). FYI: PostgreSQL 7.3.2-1 behaves no differently
than before--initdb still fails if you use FUCS--but 'ipctest s' DOES
work even when logged in using FUCS, and PostgreSQL itself runs just fine.

I suspect my results answer my own question, but wanted to make sure.