Re: Dreaming About Redesigning SQL

From: seunosewa(at)inaira(dot)com (Seun Osewa)
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Dreaming About Redesigning SQL
Date: 2003-10-04 01:59:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Thanks for the links.

Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org> wrote in message news:<blkq9n$d9puv$4(at)ID-125932(dot)news(dot)uni-berlin(dot)de>...
> There are two notable 'projects' out there:
>
>  1.  There's Darwen and Date's "Tutorial D" language, defined as part
>      of their "Third Manifesto" about relational databases.
>
>  2.  newSQL <http://newsql.sourceforge.net/>, where they are studying
>      two syntaxes, one based on Java, and one based on a
>      simplification (to my mind, oversimplification) of SQL.

I was able to get a pdf coy of the "Third Manifesto" article here:
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/darwen95third.html
but the details of tutorial D seem not to be a part of that article.
NewSQL *might* be cool if someone found reason to use it in a DBMS.

Sometimes I wonder why its so important to model data in the "rela-
tional way", to think of data in form of sets of tuples rather than
tables or lists or whatever.  I mean, though its elegant and based
on mathematical principles I would like to know why its the _right_
model to follow in designing a DBMS (or database).  The way my mind
sees it, should we not rather be interested in what works?

Seun Osewa