Re: FATAL: invalid value for option 'LC_MESSAGES': 'en_US'

From: Frank Seesink <frank(at)mail(dot)wvnet(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FATAL: invalid value for option 'LC_MESSAGES': 'en_US'
Date: 2003-05-07 20:26:22
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Never mind. In short, yes it was a simple problem.

Turns out that if you have an environment variable LANG set (e.g.,
LANG=en_US), this wreaks havoc when you run initdb. I'm afraid I don't
know why (though I'll be digging into that). But in short, my 2nd PC
had that variable set (due to an IBM PL/1 compiler installation on that
machine...looooong story) whereas the test PC did not.

Standard Windows XP installs don't have this variable set, but just in
case you have a similar problem, it's an easy fix.

Just before executing the 'initdb' command, do the following:

$ set | more

and look to see if you have a LANG environment variable set. Cygwin
will not have this by default, so it will have sucked it in from the
Windows environment table if it's there. If so, simply type

$ unset LANG

to unset it within that BASH session, then do your 'initdb' as usual.
Don't worry. This has no long-lasting effects. The only way to remove
that environment variable for good, you need to remove it from Windows
by RIGHT-clicking on 'My Computer' & clicking 'Properties' from the
popup, then navigating to the 'Advanced' tab,
[Environment Variables], highlighting the LANG environment variable
(most likely in System Variables) and clicking [Delete], then [Ok]ing
your way out.

Anyway, problem solved. Once initdb is run, this environment variable
doesn't seem to get in the way (but don't quote me on that).