Re: initdb failure with PostgreSQL 7.3.2 / Cygwin 1.3.22-1 /

From: Frank Seesink <frank(at)mail(dot)wvnet(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: initdb failure with PostgreSQL 7.3.2 / Cygwin 1.3.22-1 /
Date: 2003-04-30 23:05:53
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Jason Tishler wrote:
> Frank,
>
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 12:55:40PM -0400, Frank Seesink wrote:
>
>>And no matter what, the following test was always the same when run
>>from the 'postgres' user account:
>>$ ipctest s
>>Test v0.03
>>Unable to create semaphore
>>semget : Function not implemented
>

> The above is the crux of your problem. Until you get the above to work,
> PostgreSQL is sure to fail. Sorry, but my only suggestion will require
> some effort. I recommend building a (debug-able) version of cygipc with
> tracing enabled. You may be able to determine what the problem is from
> the trace output. Otherwise, there is always gdb...

Oh, you're kidding, right? Please tell me you're kidding. Man, what
has happened since the last time I did a Cygwin PostgreSQL install? It
used to be so smooth...once you followed the instructions of
course...which, by the way, thanks, Jason, for clearing up the starting
of CygIPC before doing an initdb...the older versions of the doc were
missing that step, and it took me awhile to figure it out when I was
first starting with PostgreSQL under Cygwin.

Am I truly unique in this situation, or are other people experiencing
the same difficulty? From what I gather, I'm not alone. And I haven't
found any definitve solution out there; only indications that CygIPC has
bugs, and the developer is AWOL (or so you made it sound in another post
I read).

Is the answer to backpedal to an older version of PostgreSQL (and
possibly CygIPC to boot)? I know PostgreSQL v7.3.2 requires CygIPC
1.13.2-1, and I'd rather not downgrade to an older PostgreSQL, but I
don't think I have the time, let alone the skill, to go skulking around
in the source.

And if the CygIPC coder is AWOL, how does that affect PostgreSQL's plans
of being Windows native, if at all? And how exactly are they handling
the Win32 native port if not using Cygwin, and can those changes be used
to help roll the new IPC daemon?

I guess what I'd like to know is, is anyone out there successfully
running Windows XP Pro with the latest Cygwin and PostgreSQL 7.3.2?