A couple XP Postgres Cygwin problems

From: "Nachi Gupta" <ngupta2(at)seas(dot)upenn(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: A couple XP Postgres Cygwin problems
Date: 2003-04-22 02:13:04
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
I have read the README and past posts among other things...

I will very much appreciate any help here and I hope that this post will
help other people in a similar situation

1) when i try to start the cygwin ipc daemon, I get error 1058: the service
did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.  I made
the log in as postgres for this service (And I set postgres to login as
service, etc.)

2) After creating postgres, I could not su to postgres with the passwd nor
could I login to postgres.  First I had to create a home directory for
postgres and copy my own .bash_profile there.  (This may helpo others with
similar problem since this is not mentioned in README file).  Now when I try
to login, I get the following error (using login not su since cygwin
recommends login not su)

login: postgres
Password:
Fanfare!!!
You are successfully logged in to this server!!!
login: no shell: /bin/bash: Permission denied

This may be more of a cygwin question, but I'm sure that everyone trying to
get through this installation had similar problems.

Thanks for all your help,

Nachi

pgsql-cygwin by date

Next:From: Vincent HikidaDate: 2003-04-22 16:38:13