Re: Six processes and why does the service want access to the internet?

From: John Koller <johnckoller(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Six processes and why does the service want access to the internet?
Date: 2008-04-05 03:11:15
Lists: pgsql-novice

George Newton wrote:

>> Since I am only running desktop applications, I doubt that I will
>> need six instances of the PostgreSQL process. I assume that this
>> might be managed in a config file, but I can't find any indication
>> of this in the PostgreSQL 8.3 help file.
>
> I found this in the FAQ:
> ...In an empty system you will see anything from two to five
> processes...
>
> Ok, that's a start, but I have six, with one using twice the memory of
> the others, so what could possibly be running?
>
> And what determines the jump from two to five (or six) on
> "an empty system"?

postmaster
logger process
background writer
wal writer
autovacuum
stats collector

wal writer is listed in the 8.3 release notes as new.

background writer, stats collector, and autovacuum are on by default and can
be turned off in the config file.

The process using the extra memory contains the shared buffers.