Re: testing cvs HEAD - HS/SR - cannot stat

From: "Erik Rijkers" <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Fujii Masao" <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Erik Rijkers" <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: testing cvs HEAD - HS/SR - cannot stat
Date: 2010-02-04 18:46:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, February 4, 2010 19:29, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Can we improve the error message? Right now it's alarming people. Such as:
>>
>> cannot stat
>> `/var/data1/pg_stuff/dump/replication_archive/000000010000000000000002':
>> End of Log
>
> Not really, it's coming from 'cp'. Not sure if we could capture the
> stderr and somehow decorate the message to make it less alarming.
>
> This isn't really a new problem, PITR has always done that, but I agree
> it's always been a bit clumsy to have those messages in the log.

It was (eventually) clear to me that it was not really a problem,
but only because I was testing anyway :)

I think most people would do what I did: search the documentation
for the string 'No such file or directory' or 'cannot stat'.
(But that produces no mention of this (non-)problem.)

ISTM mentioning in the documentation is good enough.

Erik Rijkers