ODBC and multi-threading: basics

From: bernardofhoppe(at)yahoo(dot)com (zzzmito)
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ODBC and multi-threading: basics
Date: 2004-06-29 22:35:39
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi,
could anyone tell me some basics about working with ODBC in a
multithreaded application?
Next are some of the questions I have, please, help me by answering
any or all of them. Your opinion would be best considered, and also
any link would be most appreciated.

Situation: I am using the ODBC API from Microsoft Visual C++ with
Windows NT 4.0. I use a single application with multiple threads that
connect all to the same database, but that might query it multiple
times (before disconnecting from it) and at different moments and with
different SQL querys from the other threads. Of course simultaneity is
a must.

Questions:
1) is ODBC a thread safe environment?
a) with any DB driver?
b) what about Access (mdb databases)?
I've heard that the Microsoft Jet Access driver version Jet 4.0
or + is thread safe. If that was to be true, how could I use the Jet
driver when I use the ODBC API in my application? Is there a way to
configure the Datasource to do so? Do you know about any link talking
about this?

2) which of these variables should I keep global so that they can be
shared among the threads? (remember they all access to the same DB)
- henv (environment handle)
- hdbc (connection handle, with which I connect to the same )
- hstmt (statement handle)

3) so, continuing question 2), which actions should be made only 1
time (for all the threads), and which should be made each time a
thread wants to access the database?
- SQLAllocEnv(&henv);
- SQLAllocConnect(henv, &hdbc);
- SQLSetConnectOption(hdbc, SQL_LOGIN_TIMEOUT, 20);
- SQLConnect(hdbc, (UCHAR*)szDataSource, SQL_NTS, (UCHAR*)szLoginName,
SQL_NTS, (UCHAR*)szPassword, SQL_NTS);
- SQLAllocStmt(hdbc, &hstmt);
- SQLPrepare(hstmt, (UCHAR*) szInst, SQL_NTS);
- SQLExecute(hstmt);
- SQLFreeStmt(hstmt,SQL_DROP);
- SQLDisconnect(hdbc);
- SQLFreeConnect(hdbc);
- SQLFreeEnv(henv);

Thanks indeed in advance and best regards.