Starting PostgreSQL from a windows application

From: Hovik Avedian <havedian(at)ebasetech(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Starting PostgreSQL from a windows application
Date: 2006-07-26 17:26:28
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

I have installed Postures on a Windows server and it starts as a service and all is OK.

I have 2 questions:

1. I need to be able to wrap PostgreSQL as part of my application and, therefore, start it as part of my app. start-up. I know that pg_ctl start is the command, but as your documentation clearly states, PostgreSQL can only be started by a non-privileged user. Here lies my problem.
Most software needs a privileged user to start it. So how can I start PostgreSQL as a different user from the one which needs to be logged in to start the other software?

2. How do I give my users a totally new database. Is backup/restore the only mechanism?
Can I copy (parts of) the data directory, from one installation of PostgreSQL to another?

Thanks in advance for your support,

Hovik Avedian
Senior Consultant
Ebase Technology Ltd.