Re: Workaround for bug #4608?

From: Robert Campbell <rrc7cz(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Obe, Regina" <robe(dot)dnd(at)cityofboston(dot)gov>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Workaround for bug #4608?
Date: 2009-04-22 16:50:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers pgsql-novice

Well, to make thing stranger I installed 8.4 on a different WinXP Pro
SP3 machine outside the Novell network, no McAfee, etc. It installed
absolutely fine. Looking at the data folder permissions, they are
exactly the same as on the first machine: Administrators, postgres.

So why these two exactly similar permissions configurations work
differently on the two machines is anybody's guess. Why did I have to
add my specific user account to the permissions of machine 1 for it to
see the folder? Perhaps Novell tweaks the way Windows handles folder
permissions?

Anyway, I guess for the few people who run into this issue, the
workaround is to add the specific user account that you log in with to
the data folder's permissions, with Full Control, and run initdb
manually as mentioned. It screws up the Start and Stop scripts that
come with the install; instead just follow the command line suggestion
initdb gives after completing.