Re: IN question

From: "Neil Conway" <nrc(at)cs(dot)berkeley(dot)edu>
To: "Jeff Davis" <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Steve Atkins" <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>, "SF PostgreSQL" <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: IN question
Date: 2008-12-11 00:11:32
Lists: sfpug

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com> wrote:
> And if it's additional memory, it should probably be a different GUC.

Measuring the limit in bytes makes no sense, anyway.

> If there is an explicit limit, which sounds reasonable, I think it's
> good to separate parsing limits from executor limits.

IMHO this would not be very useful: should we also reject queries with
more than k WHERE clauses, FROM elements, or string literals longer
than k bytes? I think the time would be better spent working on
developing proper support for resource limits / quotas.

Neil