Re: Column Headings using Comment?

From: tully <none(at)noemail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Column Headings using Comment?
Date: 2004-03-04 02:46:42
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 14:00:29 -0500 (EST), pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us (Bruce
Momjian) wrote:

>Ideally, you could do something like:
>
> SELECT 1 AS (SELECT description FROM pg_description WHERE ...);
>
>but we don't support subqueries in AS clauses.

That would be much nicer. I'm afraid I got spoiled by a simple little
relational database called Unity, that I used years ago at AT&T. Just
a letter parameter added would use the "pretty" heading instead of the
field name, so one setup handled all subsequent queries. It would be
so nice if psql did something like that and everything is there to do
it except the support for the argument.

I really like how postgresql behaves, especially how psql lets me
create complicated web page results with small shell and awk scripts.
Transactions are a life-saver and couldn't be easier to code. I think
I'm hooked. Now if I could only talk a postgres developer into coding
that "pretty" option into psql... ;)

Thanks Bruce.

--tully