Re: pasting into psql garbles text

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pasting into psql garbles text
Date: 2009-06-29 14:58:06
Lists: pgsql-general
On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 5:12 PM, Tom Lane<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> I'm starting to feel like my problems start appearing at a very fixed
>> size (like you, a few hundred or so).   Do you see this in other
>> programs (bash, vim, etc)? or only psql?
>
> I've only noticed it in psql, but there are not that many other programs
> that I tend to paste lots of input into.
>
> (experiments...)  Hmm, and another interesting thing is that it only
> seems to happen on my HPUX system, which is (intentionally) running a
> pretty ancient version of readline ... 4.2a looks like.  My Fedora 10
> box with readline 5.2 eats the same amount of pasted text without
> indigestion.  What readline version are you using?

I'm currently using 'ubuntu intrepid', which has very modern
everything (readline 5.2-3 build1).  I've noticed this problem since
the beginning of time now.  This is definitely a 'psql + something'
problem...I can paste into psql query buffer editor (vim) following a
/r/e with no problems, but not directly into psql itself.

Another interesting point:  the problem manifests with pasts over a
certain size, but tends to bork at a particular point.  The size of
the psql window affects this...smaller windows are more tolerant of
larger (but still not very large) pastes.

merlin