Re: Why lots of temp schemas are being created

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Anirban Pal <anirban(dot)pal(at)newgen(dot)co(dot)in>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why lots of temp schemas are being created
Date: 2009-06-09 14:34:27
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

2009/6/8 Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com>:
> On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 6:57 AM, Anirban Pal<anirban(dot)pal(at)newgen(dot)co(dot)in> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Our software use postgres as backend database. It works fine, strange thing
>> is that, it creates so many temporary schemas under schema tab, names like
>> pg_toast, pg_toast_temp_1 like this upto pg_toast_temp40. This schemas also
>> reflected in "pg_namespace" table. Can anybody tell me, is there anything
>> wrong in it?  Should I get rid of these temporary schemas?  Any suggestion
>> on this, please.
>
> you are a purist, bad habit.
> Anything beginning with pg_* is an internal schema, don't touch it,
> and no - you can't get rid of it.

actually, you can get dangling temp schemas/tables if the database
crashes or the computer goes through a hard cycle. This can be a
major disaster on 8.2 and below if autovacuum is running because it
prevents it from doing the database wide vacuum to prevent xid
wraparound. This is highly mitigated now because of the way xid works
and better warning/notification from the backend. So we should
distinguish between temp schemas that exist because they are supposed
to be there and those that are not.

merlin