Re: PQinitSSL broken in some use casesf

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PQinitSSL broken in some use casesf
Date: 2009-03-28 20:52:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> Andrew Chernow wrote:
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>> > This is just a rehash of one of the patches that was discussed earlier.
>> > There wasn't consensus for it then, and there's not now.
>> >

>> I am personally out of ideas.  It feels like this issue has been beaten
>> to death.  There are only a few ways to do it and I believe they have
>> all been put on the table.  Any suggestions?
>
> Well, at least the current behavior is documented now.

You mean, with your proposed documentation patch? (if you meant my
proposed advice, then ignore the following paragraph)

Not only does it not suggest the problem, it actually misinforms
you...it suggests you call PQinitSSL(0) when "your application
initializes <literal>libssl</> or <literal>libcrypto</> libraries".
The operative word being 'or'. If you follow the advice after only
having initialized the libcrypto library, you would get a failure
trying to use libpq/SSL.

merlin