Re: using composite types in insert/update

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Sam Mason <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: using composite types in insert/update
Date: 2009-01-30 20:12:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On 1/30/09, Sam Mason <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk> wrote:
>  quite often (i.e. a VALUES command with many singletons).  This seems
>  a bit annoying and appears to be what you were suggesting you wanted
>  before (although you killed the relevant bit of context, making me think
>  we may be talking about different things).

we are.  See the title of the thread: 'using composite types in
insert/update'. that's what I'm talking about.  I especially am not
talking about the 'values' statement.

> For several reasons; mainly because SQL is an abortion of a language,
>  it's got no regularity and attempts to justify requirements because of
>  "symmetry" will end up causing more headaches.
>
>  Another way of saying what you seem to be saying above is: I want things
>  to work correctly, unless I happen to have a column name that happens to
>  be the same as the table at which point I want everything to break.

Upthread, I noted the usefulness in writing triggers.  There are many
other uses.  btw, symmetry (making insert work more similarly to
select) is tangential but surely a good thing.

> Record *types* are most definitely not first class objects;
>  record/composite *values* on the other hand have been gaining support

well, I used the terms record types and composite types
interchangeably in this discussion.  Sorry for the confusion.

I don't know if you are arguing for or against the idea of 'update foo
set foo = foo' working. (if against, why?)

merlin