Re: Proposal - libpq Type System beta-0.8a (was PGparam)

From: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "Andrew Chernow" <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>, "Markus Schiltknecht" <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal - libpq Type System beta-0.8a (was PGparam)
Date: 2008-01-08 20:39:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jan 8, 2008 12:57 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:
> You should split it and send the proposal to -hackers. Ideally, you
> would have had a proposal discussed before you wrote a line of code.

This is the latest in a long series of submissions...check the
archives. We are (and have been) sensitive to the other pressures
resulting from the 8.3 release.

That said, we have been a little dismayed in the lack of comment. We
attributed this to either lack of interest or just general business
(we perhaps optimistically guessed the latter). We needed our
extensions for our own projects and are willing to maintain them
outside of the project if we have to...that is for the community to
decide. For the record, we are extremely excited about the libpq
changes and think others well be as well.

Tom noted the lack of documentation as well as a number of technical
issues. We addressed those issues (within the scope of what we wanted
to accomplish).

merlin