Re: disk filling up

From: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Brandon Shalton" <brandon(at)cydataservices(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: disk filling up
Date: 2007-07-27 13:44:31
Lists: pgsql-performance
On 7/26/07, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
> Brandon Shalton wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > My hard disk is filling up in the /base  directory  to where it has
> > consumed all 200gig of that drive.
> >
> > All the posts that i see keep saying move to a bigger drive, but at some
> > point a bigger drive would just get consumed.
> >
> > How can i keep the disk from filling up other than get like a half TB
> > setup just to hold the ./base/*  folder
>
> 1. Don't have two hundred gig of data.
> 2. Sounds more like you don't have 200G of data and you aren't vacuuming
> enough.

third (but unlikely) possibility is there are various dropped tables,
etc which need to be deleted but there are stale postgresql processes
holding on to the fd.  This would only happen following a postmaster
crash or some other bizarre scenario, but i've seen it on production
box.  symptoms are du and df reporting different numbers.  solutions
is easy: reboot or stop postmaster and kill all postgresql processes
(or, if you are brave, do it with dbms running and nail all processes
not following postmaster, do a ps axf [on linux] to see them).

merlin