Re: [HACKERS] urgent: upgraded to 8.2, getting kernel panics

From: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "postgres general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, devrim(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] urgent: upgraded to 8.2, getting kernel panics
Date: 2007-03-01 13:32:57
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
On 2/26/07, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On 2/23/07, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > > On friday we upgraded a critical backend server to postgresql 8.2
> > > running on fedora core 4.
> >
> > Umm ... why that particular choice of OS?  Red Hat dropped update
> > support for FC4 some time ago, and AFAIK the Fedora Legacy project
> > is not getting things done.  How old is the kernel you're using?
>
> Linux mojo 2.6.17-1.2142_FC4smp #1 SMP Tue Jul 11 22:57:02 EDT 2006
> i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>

> Unfortunately, the decision about which kernel to run is more or less
> out of my hands.  I would personally really dislike fedora and would
> much prefer to be running centos/redhat as.  That said, your comments
> and those of others are very helpul in regards to fixing that.
>
> we tried update to the latest via yum update with no help.
>
> as promised, here is the  best photo of the panic we could get:
> http://img144.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dumpic6.jpg
>
> We did an emergency downgrade to 8.1 and will monitor the
> situation...the decision to get a new server has already been made and
> hopefully it will be on a more stable platform.
>
> big thanks to all who took a few minutes out of their day to lend a hand.

Following an emergency downgrade back to 8.1, the kernel panics went
away.  Note that I don't believe for a second that the database was
the root cause here...research suggest that the problem is due to some
type of bug in the scsi driver.  Exactly why 8.2 brings this out is a
mystery...working on getting an enterprise kernel on the server.

merlin