Re: [HACKERS] urgent: upgraded to 8.2, getting kernel panics

From: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "postgres general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, devrim(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] urgent: upgraded to 8.2, getting kernel panics
Date: 2007-02-26 13:24:00
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On 2/23/07, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > On friday we upgraded a critical backend server to postgresql 8.2
> > running on fedora core 4.
>
> Umm ... why that particular choice of OS? Red Hat dropped update
> support for FC4 some time ago, and AFAIK the Fedora Legacy project
> is not getting things done. How old is the kernel you're using?

Linux mojo 2.6.17-1.2142_FC4smp #1 SMP Tue Jul 11 22:57:02 EDT 2006
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Unfortunately, the decision about which kernel to run is more or less
out of my hands. I would personally really dislike fedora and would
much prefer to be running centos/redhat as. That said, your comments
and those of others are very helpul in regards to fixing that.

we tried update to the latest via yum update with no help.

as promised, here is the best photo of the panic we could get:
http://img144.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dumpic6.jpg

We did an emergency downgrade to 8.1 and will monitor the
situation...the decision to get a new server has already been made and
hopefully it will be on a more stable platform.

big thanks to all who took a few minutes out of their day to lend a hand.

merlin