Re: Performances with new Intel Core* processors

From: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Jonathan Ballet" <jon(at)multani(dot)info>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performances with new Intel Core* processors
Date: 2006-07-31 15:52:31
Lists: pgsql-performance
On 7/31/06, Jonathan Ballet <jon(at)multani(dot)info> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've read a lot of mails here saying how good is the Opteron with PostgreSQL,
> and a lot of people seems to recommend it (instead of Xeon).

I am a huge fan of the opteron but intel certainly seems to have a
winner for workstations. from my research on a per core basis the c2d
is a stronger chip with the 4mb cache version but it is unclear which
is a better choice for pg on 4 and 8 core platforms.  I have direct
personal experience with pg on dual (4 core) and quad (8 core) opteron
and the performance is fantastic, especially on 64 bit o/s with > 2gb
memory (vs 32 bit xeon).

also opteron is 64 bit and mature so i think is a better choice for
server platform at the moment, especially for databases.  my mind
could be changed but it is too soon right now.  consider how long it
took for the opteron to prove itself in the server world.

merlin