Re: PostgreSQL's XML support comparison against other RDBMSes

From: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: iz(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)ru
Cc: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL's XML support comparison against other RDBMSes
Date: 2006-03-29 14:08:43
Lists: pgsql-general

On 3/29/06, Ivan Zolotukhin <ivan(dot)zolotukhin(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On 3/29/06, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> > Ivan Zolotukhin wrote:
> > > BTW, are there any plans for its improvement? What are the first
> > > steps for the people who want to contribute to PostgreSQL in this
> > > field?
> >
> > The first step would be making a detailed analysis of what "XML support"
> > is supposed to mean.
>
> So let's make such analysis here within PostgreSQL community! There
> were a lot of talks about XML support in Postgres, but they did not
> lead to any steady work in this direction. IMHO, it's time to start it
> now, no?

IMO, PostgreSQL has the tools to do amazing things in XML. Check out:
1. pl languages (especially pl/perl)
2. funtional indexes
3. xml contrib
4. gist indexes

I agree wtih martijn. If I have XML requirement, I either store it as
black box blob or preprocesss it (possibly with XSLT) into insert
statements. I treat XML no differently than a CSV file for example.

Merlin